Saturday 19 November 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes



I made this recipe in order to use up some leftover pumkin and to try out my Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil. I love pancakes (as you can probably tell from looking at my recipe index page) and I love pumpkin, so I figured this was a match made in heaven. I wanted to use both coconut oil and some coconut flour I picked up from the bulk barn. I searched high and low for a recipe that included all my special ingredients, but it was not to be found. So, naturally, I made one up. I threw together a couple somewhat healthy flours and the basic pancake ingredients (baking powder, eggs) with my coconut oil and pumpkin puree. I added 1 cup of milk to start, but after attempting to pour my first pancake, realized I would need much more. I ended up with 2 cups of milk and almost 1/2 cup water before I got it the right consistency. The amount of milk needed will probably vary depending on your brand of flour, so start with less liquid and adjust from there. I like my pancakes flatter than most, so I keep my batter quite thin.

If you want to substitute 1 1/2 cups of your favorite flour blend for the flours I listed in the recipe, you may not need as much added liquid. Start with 1 cup milk and add more if you need to. If you don't have coconut oil, you can use any other oil or butter/margarine instead.

As always when working with coconut oil, make sure all ingredients are at room temperature (especially eggs and milk). I actually microwaved my milk a bit before adding because my eggs were too cold and the oil was solidifying. I'm not very good about planning ahead and letting the eggs get to room temp (it takes longer than you'd think). Just don't microwave your eggs or they will cook!

(makes 12-15 large thin pancakes)

Ingredients

1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
1/4 cup Tapioca Starch
1/4 cup Buckwheat Flour (or millet flour)

1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
      (or use equivalent amount of pumpkin pie spice blend)

1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
3 Eggs
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)
2 cups milk

You can add up to 1/2 cup water depending on your preferred pancake thickness.

Directions

In a mixing bowl, combine flours/starches, salt, sugar, baking powder and spices.
In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, eggs, melted coconut oil and 1 cup milk. Make sure ingredients are at room temperature.
Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and add the rest of the milk and water if necessary.
Pour batter into oiled nonstick pan, flipping when bubbles start to pop on the surface.

I added a little more liquid after taking this pic



Variations: add chocolate chips or chopped nuts to the batter

2 comments:

  1. we love your recipes! made the pumpkin muffins with blueberries instead of cream cheese filling (my daughter should avoid dairy). tomorrow will use up pumpkin with this recipe! yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God allows us to experienced pain and failure for us to become a better person. To stand still and continue our life's journey. Visit my site for more imformation.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete