Saturday 25 February 2012

Naan Bread

gluten free naan bread
It's been awhile since I've posted a recipe. I seem to have made my way through every common illness in the past few weeks from barfing to sinus cold... and of course the angiogram before that. I am still trying to shake that last bit of a sinus cold, but other than that I think I'm good to go.

I haven't had much energy for baking, but I have been meaning to post this recipe for awhile. I found it on the GF blog Fire and Salt and knew I had to try it. I made some tiny changes, but definitely have to give this guy the credit. The bread is chewy and soft. The only downside is that it does not keep well, so only make what you think will be eaten for one meal (once it cools it becomes dense and dry).
I have made this recipe twice with great results!

Recipe from:
http://fireandsalt.blogspot.com/2010/09/gluten-free-naan-bread.html

(makes 4 Naan Bread)
Ingredients

2 tsp Yeast
2 tbsp Sugar
1/2 cup Warm Water
2 1/4 cups GF All-Purpose Flour Blend
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Guar Gum
1 Egg
1-2 tbsp Milk
Butter or Oil for frying
Optional: 1 tsp garlic powder (I left this out)

Directions

Proof the yeast with the sugar and warm water. (about 5 mins)
Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
Add egg, milk and prepared yeast mixture.
Mix well by hand or in stand mixer.
Separate dough into 4 equal balls.
Dust parchment paper with rice flour and roll out each ball of dough into the shape of naan bread. (they should be a bit bigger than your hand - or your husband's hand)
Place on a flat, portable surface (cutting board or baking pan), cover with a tea towel and let rise in a draft free place for 20-30 minutes.

* be very careful when transferring the risen bread to the frying pan as they are very breakable. Try not to let them bend at all. They will be much more stable after they cook.

Heat oil or butter in a frying pan and cook naan bread one at a time
Fry 3-4 minutes per side until it starts to brown a bit.

Heat your oven to 250 degrees.
Once all the bread is cooked, wrap them up (all together) in foil and place them in the oven for 5 minutes. The steam makes the bread nice and chewy.

roll out dough on parchment paper


let rise for 20-30 minutes
cook in the frying pan for 3-4 minutes per side (or until it browns like this)
wrap the bread in foil and place in 250 degree oven for 5 mins
serve immediately with dip, souvlaki or curries

Serve with Curry, Butter Chicken or Souvlaki. You can also eat it with hummus or other dips as a snack or side dish.

When it's just me and my husband, I usually make half the recipe.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe. I've lamented the lack of Naan with our curry ever since I went GF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I'm looking forward to making these - curry is just not the same without Naan bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! this looks delicious and healthy.These great tasting best gluten free bread have a long shelf life, and should not be stored in a freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you maybe freeze the extra dough balls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably! They might take a bit longer to rise but I would definitely give it a try:)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to write this

    ReplyDelete