Thursday 3 November 2011

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

Gluten Free Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
Of course I'm still making pumpkin recipes... it's still fall, I have pumpkin puree in my freezer (and a pumpkin waiting to be roasted), and I love it! The problem is, pumpkins are usually made into desserts (pie, cheesecake, cupcakes), and while my body craves sugar, my mind tends to steer me in a healthier direction. So, I tried to get the best of both worlds! This cookie is actually pretty healthy with the oats, whole grain flours, flax, pumpkin, and not too much sugar, and still delivers that comforting pumpkin pie flavour.

These cookies don't rise up or spread out much during baking, so shape them how you want before sliding them into the oven. Feel free to add your own extras to the batter like cranberries, white chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, or pumpkin seeds. They are good for a day or 2 on the counter, but you should freeze the rest and reheat in the microwave.

(makes about 40 small cookies)

Ingredients

1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour (or white rice flour)
1/4 cup Buckwheat Flour (or millet)
1/4 cup Tapioca Starch
2 Tbps Ground Flax
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
2 cups GF Oats (I used half rolled oats and half quick oats)
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 cup Margarine
2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
3/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
1/3-1/2 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips (optional. you can substitute up to 1 1/2 cups of whatever you want)


Directions

In a mixing bowl, cream together sugars and margarine.
Beat in eggs, pumpkin, and salt.
Add oats, pumpkin pie spice, flours, flax, baking powder and soda and mix all together.
Add in chocolate chips and stir to combine.


Scoop heaping tablespoons of batter onto cookie sheets. Smooth and flatten a bit.
Bake at 375 for 10-14 mins.
Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Eat warm with milk!

before baking

after baking
mmm...
I didn't shape this pan of cookies and they turned out a little spikey. Still tasted great though!

spikey cookies before baking
see what I mean?

2 comments:

  1. These are awesome! I am also egg and dairy free so I do all of my baking gf vegan, but the substitutes came out great. I'm so excited about cookies with buckwheat- till now, I only used buckwheat for pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trulie,
    I love buckwheat flour too, and it's so healthy. I often substitute buckwheat for millet flour with decent results. Hope you enjoy the cookies!

    ReplyDelete