Monday 24 October 2011

How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds



Roasted pumpkin seeds don't last long in my house. My husband just pops them into his mouth, shell and all (which is probably the healthiest way). I, however, feel like I am choking when I try to swallow the shell, and so I break that part off before I eat them. Whether you are a shell-eater, or a more sophisticated shell remover ;), I'm sure you'll enjoy this tasty snack. Pumpkin seeds contain lots of fiber, healthy fats, and vitamins and minerals like magnesium, zinc and vitamin E, making them a healthy snack too. So instead of tossing the guts of your Jack-O-Lantern away this Halloween, why not try roasting the seeds instead.

We always did this when I was a kid, and now, whenever I smell pumpkin seeds roasting I am reminded of my childhood Halloweens, sitting on the kitchen floor designing our oh so creative carving plans (so dad can cut the masterpiece) while up to our elbows in slimy orange pumpkin guts from scraping out and the sorting the seeds from the goopy stuff. (That is a great job for kids by the way)

The hardest part of roasting is keeping an eye on the seeds and stirring them often so they don't burn. Check on them every 5-10 minutes.

Directions

Scrape out the seeds and fibers from the pumpkin and place in a bowl (from a hole in the top if it's for carving)


Sort the seeds from the rest of the guts. (you can wash all the fibers off the seeds but I like to leave a little on for added flavour)


Place the seeds in a bowl and drizzle with 1-2 tsp oil. Add your favorite seasonings ( I usually use garlic and season salt but you could add chili powder, cayenne, Cajun spice, etc) and toss to coat the seeds.

Spread the seeds onto a foil lined baking sheet.


Bake at 300 F for 20-30 minutes (or until light brown) checking and stirring every 5-10 minutes.


Let cool and serve with a smaller bowl to discard shells (or just eat the shells if you're in to that). I usually just leave the bowl on the counter and they're gone within a day or two.

How to Roast a Pumpkin

No comments:

Post a Comment