Tuesday 11 October 2011

Chewy Brownies


I love pretty much anything chocolate. When I make a pan of these delicious brownies, I have to freeze them right away to keep myself from nibbling on them everytime I pass through the kitchen.  I have served these brownies to guests many times and they can't even tell they're gluten free.

My mom had this old brownie recipe she had cut from a newpaper or magazine when I was young. It was always our go to recipe for brownies, so when I found out I had celiac, we had to find a way to make an equally delicious gluten free version. The recipe only contains 1/2 cup flour, making it a little more forgiving than some of our other recipe alterations. We added an extra egg and 1/2 tsp baking powder (the original recipe had 2 eggs and no bp) and some kind of GF flour blend. I soon realized that you can use any flour blend for this recipe, but I find that a simple rice and tapioca flour blend (1/4 cup each) works great (and keeps things cheaper).

I like to sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the brownies just after they come out of the oven. They will melt after a few minutes and you can spread the chocolate around with a knife to make a great icing. In this batch I chopped up some mini oh henry bars and mixed them into the batter before baking. You can do the same with any chocolate bar or chopped nuts if you like. These brownies are dark, fudgey and chewy... you won't be dissappointed! 


(makes 1 square baking pan)
Ingredients

1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup GF Flour Blend (I use half tapioca flour and half rice flour)
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup Oil
3 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup Nuts or chopped chocolate bar (optional)
1/3-1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (for icing - optional)

chopped oh henry bars
Directions

Stir together sugar, cocoa powder, flour and baking powder.
Beat in oil, eggs and vanilla.
Stir in nuts if using.
Spread into greased square baking pan and bake at 350 F for approximately 30-40 minutes. It will be done when the middle is set (doesn't jiggle at all when touched).

before baking


after baking
Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Wait until melted completely (5 mins or so) and spread with a knife like icing over the brownies (optional).

Let cool a bit more and cut into pieces and serve with ice cream.
Wrap in plastic and freeze leftovers individually. To reheat, remove plastic, place on a plate, and microwave.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you these were perfectly fudgy, chewy, and gooey, I used jowar/sorghum flour and tapioca all I had on hand and it was great!

    ReplyDelete