Tuesday 30 August 2011

Tomato Soup


I wasn't a big fan of tomato soup when I was young, so I didn't really miss it when I was first diagnosed with celiac. It was only a few years ago that I started to crave tomato soup. This was probably because my husband (then boyfriend), who was on the university diet of canned foods and instant noodles, ate it quite frequently. As you probably know, campbell's tomato soup containes wheat, and I wasn't able to find any canned tomato soup I could eat. So I started looking for ideas online and eventually came up with this recipe. I'm sure it's much healthier than canned soup, mainly because you can control the sodium content and add extra vegetables, and I'm positive it tastes better!

You can make a double recipe if you're feeding more than about 3 people, or if you want to freeze some for future lunches. I like to sprinkle some grated cheddar on top and eat along side grilled cheese. 

Ingredients
3 cloves garlic
1/2 onion chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 sticks celery chopped (can be omitted)
1/2-1 tsp dried basil (or fresh chopped)
1 large can diced tomatoes (or you can use 2-3 cups fresh tomatoes, but you might need a bit more liquid)
3/4 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
you can add any other vegetable you like.

Directions

Saute garlic, olive oil, celery and onion in a sauce pan for a few minutes.
Stir in salt, pepper and basil. Add tomatoes with juices and broth.
Boil for 10-15 minutes or until onions and celery are soft. Add sugar.
Puree mixture with a hand blender until no chunks remain. (unless you like it chunky)
Add milk and reheat but don't let it boil.
Serve with grated cheese and garlic bread or grilled cheese sandwiches.


sautee onions and garlic

chunky soup

after blending

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for becoming so active on erecipeCards.com! you are all set, here is the link to you personal recipe card with all of your recipes (more to come we hope, continue to make us a daily habit)

    Dave

    http://erecipecards.com/account/userrecipes.php?id=260

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,
    I really enjoy checking out all the recipes there and it's a great way to promote my blog as well!

    ReplyDelete